As the parking lot thinned after the Wildcats' first practice in full pads, senior wide receiver and defensive back Antwaun Lewis was still on the field, running sprints alone, as evening faded to night.
As he jogged off the field, shoulder pads and helmet in hand and sweat dripping from his face, he explained his motivation: "Just trying to be better than the next man."
On the Web:
- Camden High School Wildcats
- Georgia state rules for high school football practice
- Univ. of Georgia study on football deaths
- NOAA weather data
- Univ. of Georgia heat-stress study
- National Athletic Trainers Association guidelines
- Marietta High School Blue Devils
- Ga. Athletic Trainers' Assoc
- UConn's heat safety study analysis
- 2007 Shoulder pad study
This article originally appeared at The Daily Climate, the climate change news source published by Environmental Health Sciences, a nonprofit media company.