To reduce your risk of infection with L. monocytogenes, the CDC has the following advice:
- Eat perishable and ready-to-eat foods as soon as possible.
- Rinse raw vegetables thoroughly before eating.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
- Heat ready-to-eat foods and leftovers until they are steaming hot.
- Those at risk for infection should not eat hot dogs, luncheon meats, cold cuts or other deli meats unless they are heated to an internal temperature of 165°F, or until steaming hot, before serving.
Pass it on: An outbreak of listeriosis linked to contaminated cantaloupes is the deadliest outbreak of foodborne illness in a decade.
© 2011 TechMediaNetwork.com. All rights reserved.