In honor of the 2013 Lindau meeting, which focuses on chemistry, we have updated our interactive periodic table with links to Nature Chemistry's In Your Element essay series. Each essay tells the story of a particular element, often describing its discovery, history and eventual uses.
Main Sources & More to Explore:
- The Poisoner’s Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. By Deborah Blum. Penguin Press; 2010.
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World From the Periodic Table of Elements. By Sam Kean. Little, Brown and Company; 2010.
- In Your Element. Monthly column in Nature Chemistry
- The History and Use of Our Earth's Chemical Elements: A Reference Guide. By Robert E. Krebs.
- Chemistry in Its Element podcast from Chemistry World.
- The Elements, By Tom Lehrer.
- "I Was a Teenage Element Hoarder," By Michael Battaglia.
- Cracks in the Periodic Table, By Eric Scerri.
- It’s All Elementary: Decades of Insights from Nobel Laureates in Chemistry, Edited by Ferris Jabr, Introduction by Stuart Cantrill.
Interactive by Krista Fuentes