What in the Star Wars movies qualifies as remotely plausible, according to our understanding of science, and what is pure fantasy? Writer Jeanne Cavelos brought her scientifically trained eye to this question in her 1999 book, The Science of Star Wars (St. Martin's Press). The following excerpts from The Science of Star Wars have been condensed by Scientific American:
- Do R2-D2 and C-3PO Dream of Electric Sheep?
- Darth Vader: The Six-Million-Dollar Sith
- Could the Death Star Destroy a Planet?
- Might a Sarlacc Really Take a Thousand Years to Digest its Prey?
- The Jump to Light Speed Is a Real Killer