Scientific American Jobs
Welcome to Scientific American Jobs, powered by naturejobs.com - the world's largest, dedicated science job board.
Light Microscopy Specialist (E075)
Posted: January 13, 2014
Expires: March 12, 2014
Requisition number: E075
Science jobs from Salk Institute for Biological Studies:
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies is one of the world's preeminent basic research institutions, where internationally renowned faculty probe fundamental life science questions in a unique, collaborative, and creative environment. Focused on both discovery and mentoring future generations of researchers, Salk scientists make groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of cancer, aging, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and cardiovascular disorders by studying neuroscience, genetics, cell and plant biology, and related disciplines.
Faculty achievements have been recognized with numerous honors, including Nobel Prizes and memberships in the National Academy of Sciences. Founded in 1960 by polio vaccine pioneer Jonas Salk, M.D., the Institute is an independent nonprofit organization and architectural landmark.
About the Position:
The Light Microscopy Technician / Specialist aids the Biophotonics Director in the operation of the Biophotonics Core Facility. This is a multi-faceted job that involves the following components:
- User Training - educating facility users in the use of facility instrumentation and methods used therein.
- Research Design and Participation - aiding the Director and independently assisting users in the design of experiments involving light microscopy methods including confocal and live cell microscopy, total-internal-reflection (TIRF) microscopy, multi-photon microscopy, and super-resolution microscopy (PALM and SIM). Incumbent will also assist with image processing and data analysis methods.
- Core Facility Maintenance - maintaining the functionality of facility instrumentation.
- Data Collection and Presentation - collecting and managing data collected on facility instrumentation, helping to prepare data for publication and presentation.
A BS degree in biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering is required.
A PhD degree in biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering is preferred.
- Biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering background with experience in light microscopy.
- Tissue cell culture experience and sterile culture techniques.
- Fluorescence based immunohistochemistry labeling.
- Microscopy experience in a core environment.
- Tissue preparation and histology experience.
Candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule based on research needs and deadlines. Must be willing to submit to a personal background check.
Position requires constant seeing, adjusting focus, touching/feeling, keying, grasping, talking, hearing, handling, reading, writing, reasoning, communicating, and working inside.
Apply for Salk Institute for Biological Studies
Science Jobs of the Week
PhD Studentships in Bioinformatics and Cheminformatics
University of Cambridge
One Post-Doc position in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Cell Research
UiT – The Arctic University of Norway
STANFORD Postdoc Position
National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB)
- More science jobs from