Scientific American Jobs
Welcome to Scientific American Jobs, powered by naturejobs.com - the world's largest, dedicated science job board.
Senior Research Specialist - Bioinformatician Geneticist
Posted: January 27, 2014
Expires: March 25, 2014
Science jobs from Cornell University:
Working under minimal supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) on research projects, providing service to other labs as a member of bioinformatics core facility; performs a broad range of standard, non-standard, advanced, and complex scientific computations in bioinformatics. Assists to and get guidance from Research Associate in bioinformatics related projects. Contributes to research and development activities. Supervises other less senior/experienced lab staff in the performance of their assignments.
1. Performs complex and non-standard data analysis, requiring broad knowledge and experience especially genetics. This will include the analysis of entire genomes, and contributions to scientific programmes and publications.
2. Implements bioinformatics analysis tools and applications.
3. Prepares and maintains complex and non-standard records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations and statistical analysis charts.
4. Provides data analysis support services to other labs for the projects accepted by bioinformatics core facility. This requires customers service skills and negotiation of mutually agreed expectations with research scientist and support staff.
5. Participates in the selection, evaluation and development of new computational analysis methods to best suit the needs of each project.
6. Mentors other lab staff in good software practice management practices and best practice documentation of data and results for subsequent analysis.
7. Performs other job related duties as required.
1. Bachelor degree (B.S.) in bioinformatics/genetics/biology or related field is required. 2. Seven or more years' experience in handling biological data especially genomics data.
3. Two or more years' programming experience in at least one of these languages: R, perl, python or Java.
4. Previously demonstrated advanced ability to communicate in both scientific written reports and professional presentations.
5. Previously demonstrated advanced proficiency in written and spoken English
6. Willingness and capability to share knowledge with other members of the team
Apply for Cornell University
Science Jobs of the Week
Faculty Position in Experimental Condensed Matter
Universidas de Los Andes, Colombia
Director Pre-clinical Pharmacology (Ophthalmology) - International Biotechnology Company
Pharma Professionals Europe Ltd.
Research Specialist (Laboratory Manager)
University of Southern California
Procurement Manager in Teilzeit (M / W)
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
- More science jobs from