Teenagers from families at different income levels can have vastly diverging physical and psychological health, according to a new study that followed students in 34 countries. Those problems grew worse in countries with more economic inequality and could carry over into adulthood. Experts say it is essential to intervene as early as possible to prevent ongoing health issues.
One intervention that has already met with success: the President’s Malaria Initiative, which began under George W. Bush and now enters its second stage to combat malaria. The program’s new goal is to reduce deaths from the disease by 30 percent in 19 countries before 2020. Read more about the approach going forward.
Malaria parasites, like much life on Earth, thrive in warm, humid locations—conditions that might be unlikely on planets orbiting the most common stars in our universe, M dwarfs. Planets around M dwarfs offer some of the best prospects for finding habitable locales because they are easy to spot, but they also face a host of conditions that make it difficult for life.
The Earth has its own hot/cold cycles, and vegetation has to track those temperature fluctuations to know when to grow and flower. Researchers have found that at least one plant conveys that seasonal knowledge to its progeny: Arabidopsis tells its seedlings when to emerge so they can take advantage of the heat or wait for more favorable temperatures.
Also in May’s advances:
- The timing of spring foretells autumn’s onset.
- Meet the net-wielding drone that captures other flying bots.
- The biomechanics of popcorn popping.
- Physicists debut flat lenses that focus colored light, sans bulge.
- The side of the brain opposite a blood clot in a stroke helps repair the damage, and is the target of a new drug.
- How do geysers erupt over and over?
- Some ants, known for their cleanliness, build latrines within their nests, surprising entomologists.
- In news from around the world: Vienna unveils plans to build a 25-story wooden skyscraper; the Indian government provides free pills to prevent elephantiasis; and more.