We have often had occasion to point out the advantages which would be obtained by the usc of some improved coupling that would prevent the necessity of persons, passing between the cars when liable to move, to couple them, and that would allow of the cars being easily detached from the platform, in case of accident. We now reiterate the enumeration of these desirable ends, and proceed to describe the coupling which is the subject of our engravings. Fig. l IS a perspective view of the coupling box, A, having its mouth flared as lsual, and in which the link, B, is secured. C is a cross bar that projects slightly above the platform, and is supported by two bars, a, which are connected at the bottom by a cross bar, c. This is seen in Fig. 2, which is a horizontal section of the coupling box, and also in the vertical section, Fig. 3. The cross bar, c, is kept above the level of the bottom of the box by the spring, D, attached to the box at d. There is a proper recess in the box to admit of this bar, c, being pressed below the plane of the bottom of the box, by pressure on the cross bar, C. E is a loose tongue, hinged to the upper side of the coupling box, and hanging with its lower end in contact with and behind the cross bar, c, when it is in an elevated state. The operation is as follows :When the coupling is in its normal s,tate with the bars, c and C, in the position shown in Fig. 3, the link can be pushed in, and as it enters it lifts E, passes under it, and E drops into the link, forming a perfect lock, as the bar, c, prevents it from coming forward, this car can now be run against another, and the projecting portion of the link instantly couples itself in the other car. When it is desirable to uncouple the cars, all that is required is that the bar, C, be pressed with the foot, and consequently c is pushed into the recess, allowing E to swing forward, and the link instantly disengages itself from the car. The inventor is F. E. Gleason, of Columbus, Ohio, and additional particulars can be obtained by addressing him or Mr. John Short, of the same place. It was patented May 18th, 1858.
This article was originally published with the title "Gleason's Car Coupling" in Scientific American 13, 47, 369 (July 1858)