This is a new, unique, and powerful instrument for extract ing corks from champagne, porter, and other bottles when the corks are wired down; and it not only enables the cork t be quickly and certainly extracted, but obviates all previoui cutting or breaking of the wire. It consists of a stout, vertical shaft, actuated by a lever toothed sector, and rack, and having at its lower end a spea: with pivoted barbs. This spear is shown in detail at the lef of the principal engraving. In operation the bottle is seized by one hand, and the top of the neck is thrust into a funnel-shaped projection at the lower part of the cast-iron plate to which the movable parts are at tached. The bottom of the bottle is pressed back toward the wooden support of the apparatus, and rests upon one of a se ries of shelves about three eighths of an inch in thickness, and having their front edges lecurved. The shelves above the bottom of the bottle are pressed backward against springs with which each shelf is supplied, so that when the bottle is removed they are again advanced uniformly. This arrangement gives a firm support to bottles of very different lengths. The bottle being placed as described and as shown in the engraving, the hand grasping the lever is raised; this thrusts the spear into the cork and a reversed motion of the lever opens all the pivoted barbs in the position shown in detail at the left of the engraving, and draws the cork, breaking the wires etc., at the same time. Subsequent corks being drawn face the first up along the spear, until finally it is split by the conical end of the vertical shaft, and flies off out of the way. Four motions, two with each hand, draw a cork in less time than the wire could be broken by the old method. By substituting a punch in place of the spear, and placing a small funnel to receive the cork, this machine can be used to cork iiot-tles with great rapidity. Patented through the Scientific American Agency, July 13, 1869, by Charles G. Wilson, of Brooklyn, N. Y., who may be addresed for the entire right at the Holske Machine Company's office, No. 528 Water Street, New York City.
This article was originally published with the title "Improved Cork Extractor" in Scientific American 21, 7, 97-98 (August 1869)