Measures to secure a patent lor a new and improved apparatus for replacing railroad cars upon the track have been taken by Lucian B. Flanders, of Dunkirk, N. Y. It is necessary to observe that this is a contrivance intended to supersede the use of the ordinary jack, for replacing cars when run off the rails, and is far superior to the present inefficient mode. The apparatus employed can be as easily carried as the jack, and is adjusted for use in a moment of time. It consists of two iron pieces which the inventor terms flanges, and which are placed one upon each rail, their construction being such that they clasp these latter, and are thus held firm. Each flange has, at the end an inclined plane so that the wheels coming in contact with the lower part of these planes can be moved up along them, and in order that they may take the proper direction a guide is so placed as to The annexed engraving is a perspective view of an improvement in Sawing Machinery, invented by Pearson Crosby, of Fredonia, N. Y., to whom a patent was granted for the same in April, 1851, but which has not yet been brought prominently before the public. The nature of the invention consists in making a circular sa w with both faces con vex, so that it will present a thin edge, where the teeth are cut, to avoid waste of the lumber, and reduce the resistance in cutting, and be gradually thicker towards the shaft to give the requisite thickness,to prevent" buckling" and insure a steady motion at the periphery, when this is combined with a fixed gauge placed near the periphery of the saw on that side of the shaft opposite to where the lumber is presented to the teeth, so that the said gauge shall separate or spread the two parts of the planks, while they are being sawed, and thus prevent them from binding against the faces of the saw. A is a neat strong saw frame j B is the driving belt communicating from the shait of a steam engine or water wheel. It gives rotation to the shaft of the saw, C. D is the fixed bevelled gauge; B' is belt running from si small pulley on the spindle of the saw around a pulley on the shaft of the cone pulley, M. N is a belt running from the cone pulley to the one, L. O is a shipper for moving the said belt from the least diameter of M to its greatest, and vice versa, so as to vary the speed of the cone pulley, L. The shipper slides on a rod,P,and is moved when required To supersede the ordinary Russ paving for streets, a new arrangement by means of cast-iron blocks has been invented by L. Colwell, of New York City, who has taken measures to secure a patent. The above engraving is a perspective view of one of the blocks forming a section of the paving and displays thestruc-ture and arrangement of this new method Each, of these blocks is six-sided, being in shape a regular hexagon, so that they are easily fitted one to another. A represents one of these six sides with a be operated by one ot the wheels while it is moved forward. The apparatus will be lound efficient for replacing the car on the rail no matter in what position the car may happen to be placed after running off the track.
This article was originally published with the title "Replacing Railroad Cars" in Scientific American 8, 17, 132 (January 1853)