In May 2010, Alabama Coastal Foundation and Mobile Baykeeper worked with Coalition of Active Stakeholders Team (COAST) partners to develop and implement the Volunteer Field Observer (VFOB) Program in response to last year's Deepwater Horizon oil release. The program's goal is to train volunteers to serve as citizen scientists, documenting shoreline conditions along Alabama's shoreline using GPS coordinates and alerting officials and COAST partners to the presence of oil and/or affected wildlife.
- Principal Scientist: Bethany Kraft, Executive Director
- Scientist Affiliation: Alabama Coastal Foundation
- Dates: Ongoing
- LOCATION: Alabama -
- PROJECT TYPE: Observation
- COST: Free
- GRADE LEVEL: 18+ years old
- TIME COMMITMENT: Variable
- HOW TO JOIN:
Visit the Volunteer Field Observer (VFOB) Program Web site and register for online training. Volunteers must be over the age of 18.