In the little town of Filipstad. thirty-five miles northeast of Carlstad, Sweden, in the mountainous country bordering on Norway, was re-cently unveiled a monument to John Ericsson, forming the subject of our illustration. The imposing ceremonial with which, ill August, 1890, the remains of this distinguished engineer were transferred from America to Sweden will be at once recalled, with thoughts of the splendid achievements which have associated his name with so much that has been accomplished during the present generation. The body was conveyed from the land of his adoption to that of his birth by the United States wai ship Baltimore in a way befitting the illustrious dead, and Sweden received the dust of her distinguished dead with all possible honor, erecting over it a mortuary chapel of unusual beauty, the emblematic design of which gives the key to the life of him who rests beneath. For the photograph illustrating the scene of the unveiling we are indebted to the Illustrated American, and in the accompauying article by Florida Stephenson Sharpe. it is stated that the memorial is built on a great terrace in the cemetery of Filipstad. The terrace is surrounded by granite pillars that are strung with heavy iron c h a ins. Broad steps lead up the terrace to the portals. Crowning the monument is a globe of copper on which a great eagle stands, the claws clutch ing America, the wings outspread, while the beak is offering an oaken branch to Sweden. This design is very conspicuous. Below the globe the granite roof is built in several buttresses. The western wall is almost entirely taken up by the broad portal, surrounding which is a great shield. This shield is of copper, a propeller in bass-relief thereon, oaken leaves and fir branches surrounding the shield. The corner pillars are emblazoned with the arms of Ivea and Gota respectively. Over the arch runs the insc rip t ion, The Fatherland to J o h n Ericsson. The interior is rich in sculptured design and unique ornamentations. The sarcophagus proper, occupying the center of the chapel, is of green marble, in which the coffin is placed. Over the entrance of the interior of the chapel one reads this inscription sharply chiseled in the stone : This structure was erected in tho year 1895. in memory of John Ericsson.