We read with no little interest an article on " American Porcelain," in the Journal of the Franklin Institute, of last January, by T. Tucker, of Philadelphia. An editorial intro duction to the article states that the manu facture of plain porcelain was recently com menced in Connecticut. The letter of Mr. Tucker states that his father commenced to make porcelain in Philadelphia in 1826, and after many experiments and failures (for he was not acquainted with the art) in 1827 his efforts were crowned with success. He died in 1832, when his son (the author of the letter) and his brother, with Judge Hemphil continued the manufacture, until, from different causes, he was left in charge of the whole manufacture himself to 1837, when he gave it up and commenced ordering his goods from Europe. When we read the article we had no idea that there was a porcelain manufactory in the United States, much less one within three miles of our office, but so it is. This beautiful ware is manufactured at Green Point, L. I., by C. Cartridge & Co., it was commenced about four years ago by gentle men who had been brought up to the art in England. The first articles made were porcelain door furniture, which would seem to be made successfully, if we may judge from the vari ety of designs which are produced, some of them of elaborate decorations, in colors and gold, but the manufacture is now extended to other useful articles, including inkstands, cur tain pins, cane handles, knocker plates, pitch ers, tea ware, dinner ware, &c. Much of the work is done by machine which is of great finish and ingenuity.— Touching the machinery we may claim to have some judgment. The articles thus pro duced are of greater regularity and of higher Snish than those made in the ordinary way. Moreover, this ware is done with greater celerity, being finished in less than one-fiitieth part of the time usually occupied in other countries, not having to test in diffe rent stages of progress. The mechanical department is under the management of Benjamin Irving, assisted by Alexander Moffatt. We have been admitted to an inspection of this ingenious part of their business (not open to the public) which seems admirable, in contrivance and efficiency and which has excited in us both pleasure and surprise. Though it is rarely that the pio neers of an art reap a just reward, we are in formed that this enterprise has been success ful in its establishment. Of the quality of their porcelain wares, it is claimed that they are equal to any other pro duced in the world, and after a somewhat ex tended examination (to which the public can be also admitted) we are not disposed to dis-dispute the claims. We are not aware that we have seen more exquisite and finished pro ductions from any country. We were much gratified with the inspec tion of their fine models in clay, including some busts of celebrated men (Washington, Webster, Clay, Taylor, &c.) This depart ment is under the care of Josiah Jones, an English artist of great skill and taste. There can be no doubt but the efforts pre viously made to establish the manufacture of porcelain in our country failed, partly from not having discovered the best materials, and partly from the want of practical knowledge of the art. We would remark that our inspection of these works was in a measure accidental, and we had not the remotest conception of finding about 100 persons employed in all the various branches of modelling, moulding, turning, firing, painting, &c. The manufacture of por celain is a beautiful art, rather let us say it combines various arts requiring the finest taste, the greatest skill of hand and eye, care fulness, and a vast amount of knowledge, es pecially in the person who manages the busi ness. Mr. Irving, the machinist of the establish ment, has invented a new and improved boi ler, a brief description of which will be found on our invention page. This boiler we saw in operation supplying steam to the engine which drives all the machinery in these works. Although not constructed in every part according to the whole plan of Mr. Ir ving, its saving of fuel is surprising, as it lur-nishes steam with one-third the amount of fuel which was required for the boiler which it has supplanted. Upon the economical Cor nish principle, the steam is generated at a high pressure and expanded before it enters the cylinder. In the old boiler, owing to bad water, encrustations were soon formed, but a continual circulation is kept through the coil ed pipes in this boiler, and between the cham bers, so that no scale is permitted to form in the pipes or on the plates. The amount of fuel consumed, is only about three pounds per horse power, a very small quantity.