- Editor in Chief and Senior Vice President Mariette DiChristina
- Managing Editor Curtis Brainard Copy Director Maria-Christina Keller Creative Director Michael Mrak
- Chief Features Editor Seth FletcherChief News Editor Dean VisserChief Opinion Editor Michael D. Lemonick
- Senior Editor, Sustainability Mark FischettiSenior Editor, Chemistry/Policy/Biology Josh FischmanSenior Editor, Space/Physics Clara MoskowitzSenior Editor, Life Sciences Madhusree MukerjeeSenior Editor, Technology/Mind Jen SchwartzSenior Editor, Evolution/Ecology Kate Wong
- Senior Editor, Mind/Brain Gary StixAssociate Editor, Space/Physics Lee BillingsAssociate Editor, Technology Larry GreenemeierAssociate Editor, Biology/Medicine Dina Fine MaronAssociate Editor, Sustainability Andrea ThompsonAssistant Editor, News Tanya Lewis
- Digital Content
- Managing Multimedia Editor Eliene Augenbraun Senior Editor, Multimedia Steve Mirsky Engagement Editor Sunya Bhutta Collections Editor Andrea Gawrylewski
- Art Director Jason MischkaSenior Graphics Editor Jen Christiansen Photography Editor Monica BradleyArt Director, Online Ryan ReidAssistant Photo Editor Liz TormesAssociate Graphics Editor Amanda Montañez
- COPY AND PRODUCTION
- Senior Copy Editors Michael Battaglia, Daniel C. SchlenoffCopy Editor Aaron ShattuckManaging Production Editor Richard HuntPrepress and Quality Manager Silvia De Santis
- Technical Lead Nicholas Sollecito Senior Web Producer Ian Kelly Web Producer Jessica Ramirez
- EDITORIAL David BielloLydia DenworthW. Wayt GibbsFerris JabrAnna KuchmentRobin LloydMelinda Wenner MoyerGeorge MusserChristie NicholsonJohn RennieRicki L. Rusting
- ARTEdward BellBryan ChristieLawrence R. GendronNick Higgins
- Editorial Administrator Ericka Skirpan Senior Secretary Maya Harty
- President Dean Sanderson
- Executive Vice President Michael Florek
- Vice President, Commercial Andrew Douglas
- Publisher and Vice President Jeremy A. Abbate
- MARKETING AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Head, Marketing and Product Management Richard Zinken Marketing Director, Institutional Partnerships and Customer Development Jessica Cole Online Marketing Product Manager Zoya Lysak
- INTEGRATED MEDIA SALES
- Director, Integrated Media Jay BerfasDirector, Integrated Media Matt Bondlow Senior Administrator, Executive Services May Jung
- CONSUMER MARKETING
- Digital Marketing Manager Marie Cummings E-Mail Marketing Manager Chris Monello Marketing and Customer Service Coordinator Christine Kaelin
- ANCILLARY PRODUCTS
- Associate Vice President, Business Development Diane McGarvey Custom Publishing Editor Lisa Pallatroni Rights and Permissions Manager Felicia Ruocco
- Head Communications, USA Rachel Scheer
- PRINT PRODUCTION
- Advertising Production Controller Carl Cherebin Production Controller Madelyn Keyes-Milch
letters to the editorScientific American
1 New York Plaza, Suite 4500
New York, NY 10004-1562
Letters may be edited for length and clarity. We regret that we cannot answer each one. Join the conversation online—visit Scientific American on Facebook and Twitter.
how to contact us
For new subscriptions, renewals, gifts, payments, and changes of address: U.S. and Canada, 800-333-1199; outside North America, 515-248-7684 or www.ScientificAmerican.com
To submit article proposals, follow the guidelines at www.ScientificAmerican.com. Click on “Contact Us.” We cannot return and are not responsible for materials delivered to our office.
To order bulk reprints of articles (minimum of 1,000 copies): Reprint Department, Scientific American, 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4500, New York, NY 10004-1562; 212-451-8877; reprints@SciAm.com. For single copies of back issues: 800-333-1199.
For permission to copy or reuse material: Permissions Department, Scientific American, 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4500, New York, NY 10004-1562; randp@SciAm.com; www.ScientificAmerican.com/permissions. Please allow three to six weeks for processing.
www.ScientificAmerican.com has electronic contact information for sales representatives of Scientific American in all regions of the U.S. and in other countries.
Scientific American (ISSN 0036-8733), Volume 319, Number 4, October 2018, published monthly by Scientific American, a division of Springer Nature America, Inc., 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4500, New York, N.Y. 10004-1562. Periodicals postage paid at New York, N.Y., and at additional mailing offices. Canada Post International Publications Mail (Canadian Distribution) Sales Agreement No. 40012504. Canadian BN No. 127387652RT; TVQ1218059275 TQ0001. Publication Mail Agreement #40012504. Return undeliverable mail to Scientific American, P.O. Box 819, Stn Main, Markham, ON L3P 8A2. Individual Subscription rates: 1 year $49.99 (USD), Canada $59.99 (USD), International $69.99 (USD). Institutional Subscription rates: Schools and Public Libraries: 1 year $84 (USD), Canada $89 (USD), International $96 (USD). Businesses and Colleges/Universities: 1 year $399 (USD), Canada $405 (USD), International $411 (USD). Postmaster: Send address changes to Scientific American, Box 3187, Harlan, Iowa 51537. Reprints available: write Reprint Department, Scientific American, 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4500, New York, N.Y. 10004- 1562; fax: 646-563-7138; reprints@SciAm.com. Subscription inquiries: U.S. and Canada (800) 333-1199; other (515) 248-7684. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed in U.S.A. Copyright © 2018 by Scientific American, a division of Springer Nature America, Inc. All rights reserved.
Scientific American is part of Springer Nature, which owns or has commercial relations with thousands of scientific publications (many of them can be found at www.springernature.com/us). Scientific American maintains a strict policy of editorial independence in reporting developments in science to our readers. Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
- Rachel Scheer
- Sarah Hausman