- Editor in Chief Laura Helmuth
- Managing Editor Jeanna Bryner Copy Director Maria-Christina Keller Creative Director Michael Mrak
- Chief Features Editor Seth FletcherChief News Editor Dean VisserChief Opinion Editor Megha Satyanarayana
- Senior Editor, Sustainability Mark FischettiSenior Editor, Medicine/Science Policy Josh FischmanSenior Editor, Space/Physics Clara MoskowitzSenior Editor, Science and Society Madhusree MukerjeeSenior Editor, Technology/Mind Jen SchwartzSenior Editor, Evolution/Ecology Kate Wong
- News and Opinion
- Senior Editor, Space/Physics Lee BillingsSenior Editor, Health and Medicine Tanya LewisSenior Editor, Mind/Brain Gary StixSenior Opinion Editor Dan VerganoAssociate Editor, Technology Sophie BushwickAssociate Editor, Sustainability Andrea ThompsonAssociate Editor, Heath and Medicine Lauren J. YoungAssistant News Editor Sarah Lewin FrasierNews Reporter Meghan Bartels
- Chief Multimedia Editor Jeffery DelViscioSenior Multimedia Editor Tulika BoseMultimedia Editor Kelso HarperChief Newsletter Editor Andrea GawrylewskiChief Audience Engagement Editor Sunya BhuttaAssociate Engagement Editor Arminda Downey-Mavromatis
- Senior Graphics Editor Jen Christiansen Photography Editor Monica BradleyArt Director, Online Ryan ReidAssociate Photo Editor Liz TormesAssociate Graphics Editor Amanda Montañez
- COPY AND PRODUCTION
- Senior Copy EditorsAngelique RondeauAaron Shattuck Associate Copy EditorEmily Makowski Managing Production EditorRichard Hunt Prepress and Quality ManagerSilvia De Santis
- EDITORS EMERITIMariette DiChristinaJohn Rennie
- EDITORIAL Rebecca BoyleAmy BradyKatherine Harmon CourageLydia DenworthFerris JabrAnna KuchmentMichael D. LemonickRobin LloydSteve MirskyMelinda Wenner MoyerGeorge MusserRicki L. RustingDava SobelClaudia WallisDaisy Yuhas
- ARTEdward BellViolet Isabelle FrancesLawrence R. GendronNick HigginsKim HubbardKatie PeekBeatrix Mahd Soltani
- Executive Assistant Supervisor Maya HartySenior Editorial Coordinator Brianne Kane
- CUSTOM MEDIA
- Editorial Director Cliff RansomCreative DirectorWojtek UrbanekChief Multimedia Editor Kris FatsySenior Multimedia Editor Ben Gershman Senior Editor Dan FerberSenior Engagement Editor Dharmesh PatelSenior Publishing Manager Samantha Lubey
- PresidentKimberly Lau
- Publisher and Vice President Jeremy A. Abbate
- Vice President, Product and Technology Dan Benjamin
- Vice President, Commercial Andrew Douglas
- Vice President, Content Services Stephen Pincock
- CLIENT MEDIA SOLUTIONS
- Head, Publishing Strategy Suzanne Fromm Directors, Integrated Media Matt Bondlow Stan Schmidt Director, Content Partnerships Marlene Stewart Marketing Program Manager Leeor Cohen Programmatic Product Manager Zoya LysakDigital Advertising Operations Manager Lizzie Ng
- PRODUCT & TECHNOLOGY
- Directors Jason GoldsteinMike Howsden Product Managers Ian KellyMiguel Olivares Digital Producer Isabella Bruni Engineers Kenneth AbadRuben Del RioHaronil EstevezMichael GaleAkwa GrembowskiStephen Tang Data Analyst Jackie Clark
- CONSUMER MARKETING
- Head, Marketing Christopher Monello Senior Commercial Operations Coordinator Christine Kaelin Marketing Coordinator Justin Camera
- ANCILLARY PRODUCTS
- Associate Vice President, Business Development Diane McGarveyCustom Publishing Editor Lisa Pallatroni
- Senior Communications Manager Sarah Hausman
- PRINT PRODUCTION
- Production Controller Madelyn Keyes-MilchAdvertising Production Manager Michael BroomesAdvertising Production ControllerMichael Revis-Williams
letters to the editorScientific American
1 New York Plaza, Suite 4600
New York, NY 10004-1562
Letters may be edited for length and clarity. We regret that we cannot answer each one. Join the conversation online—visit Scientific American on Facebook and Twitter.
how to contact us
For new subscriptions, renewals, gifts, payments, and changes of address: U.S. and Canada, 800-333-1199; outside North America, 515-248-7684 or email@example.com.
To submit article proposals, follow the guidelines at www.ScientificAmerican.com. Click on “Contact Us.” We cannot return and are not responsible for materials delivered to our office.
To order bulk reprints of articles (minimum of 1,000 copies): Reprint Department, Scientific American, 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4600, New York, NY 10004-1562; 212-451-8415; RandP@sciam.com. For single copies of back issues: 800-333-1199.
For permission to copy or reuse material: Permissions Department, Scientific American, 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4600, New York, NY 10004-1562; RandP@sciam.com; www.ScientificAmerican.com/permissions. Please allow six to eight weeks for processing.
www.ScientificAmerican.com has electronic contact information for sales representatives of Scientific American in all regions of the U.S. and in other countries.
Scientific American (ISSN 0036-8733), Volume 328, Number 6, June 2023, published monthly by Scientific American, a division of Springer Nature America, Inc., 1 New York Plaza, Suite 4600, New York, N.Y. 10004-1562. Periodicals postage paid at New York, N.Y., and at additional mailing offices. Canada Post International Publications Mail (Canadian Distribution) Sales Agreement No. 40012504. Canadian BN No. 127387652RT; TVQ1218059275 TQ0001. Publication Mail Agreement #40012504. Return undeliverable mail to Scientific American, P.O. Box 819, Stn Main, Markham, ON L3P 8A2. Individual Subscription rates: 1 year $49.99 (USD), Canada $59.99 (USD), International $69.99 (USD). Institutional Subscription rates: Schools and Public Libraries: 1 year $84 (USD), Canada $89 (USD), International $96 (USD). Businesses and Colleges/Universities: 1 year $399 (USD), Canada $405 (USD), International $411 (USD). Postmaster: Send address changes to Scientific American, Box 3187, Harlan, Iowa 51537. Reprint inquiries: RandP@sciam.com. To request single copies or back issues, call (800) 333-1199. Subscription inquiries: U.S. and Canada (800) 333-1199; other (515) 248-7684. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed in U.S.A. Copyright © 2023 by Scientific American, a division of Springer Nature America, Inc. All rights reserved.
Scientific American is part of Springer Nature, which owns or has commercial relations with thousands of scientific publications (many of them can be found at www.springernature.com/us). Scientific American maintains a strict policy of editorial independence in reporting developments in science to our readers. Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
- Sarah Hausman